BARTLESVILLE PUBLIC LIBRARY LONG-RANGE PLAN, 2011-2014
To be a welcoming and dynamic center of culture and lifelong learning for the community.
The Bartlesville Public Library enhances the quality of life in our diverse community by fostering a love of reading, literacy, and lifelong learning through excellent resources and services.
GOAL 1: FOSTER A LOVE OF READING
OBJECTIVE A: Provide book-related events and programs.
- ACTIVITY 1. Increase attendance at book related programs.
- ACTIVITY 2. Increase number of Book Club Kits to 25.
- ACTIVITY 3. Create a directory of area book groups.
OBJECTIVE B: Promote the collection.
- ACTIVITY 1. Facilitate online patron book reviews to the library catalog.
- ACTIVITY 2. Feature online readers advisory tools (Dear Reader, Book Letters, Fiction Connection).
- ACTIVITY 3. Create marketing plan.
GOAL 2: SUPPORT LIFELONG LEARNING
OBJECTIVE A: Provide a positive environment that encourages lifelong learning.
OBJECTIVE B: Provide up-to-date technology for accessing online and offsite learning experiences.
OBJECTIVE C: Provide an excellent collection. (See “Excellent Resources and Services” for details.)
OBJECTIVE D: Provide programs and services that encourage and facilitate lifelong learning.
GOAL 3: PROVIDE LITERACY-RELATED INFORMATION AND SERVICES IN THE BARTLESVILLE AREA.
OBJECTIVE A: Recruit tutors and students to program capacity annually.
OBJECTIVE B: Offer tutor training classes annually.
OBJECTIVE C: Provide one-on-one tutoring.
OBJECTIVE D: Conduct citizenship classes.
OBJECTIVE E: Work toward having tutor on duty to help drop-in students.
OBJECTIVE F: Create and implement marketing plan for Literacy Services.
- ACTIVITY 1. Create volunteer fundraising committee.
OBJECTIVE G: Work toward Literacy Services to be a fully-funded function of Library.
OBJECTIVE H: Evaluate and expand the Family Literacy Program.
GOAL 4: FOSTER EXCELLENT RESOURCES AND SERVICES
OBJECTIVE A: Provide professional development opportunities for all staff.
ACTIVITY 1. Full-time staff members will maintain their certification issued by the Oklahoma Department of Libraries/Oklahoma Library Association.
ACTIVITY 2. Full-time staff members will complete two continuing education classes per year.
ACTIVITY 3. Continue to provide annual Staff Training Day.
OBJECTIVE B: Ensure adequate funding to provide staff with the appropriate resources to support excellent services and equipment.
ACTIVITY 1. Return staffing levels to 2008 levels in the Local and Family History and Circulation Departments.
ACTIVITY 2. Continue to adapt to development of technology and collection formats.
ACTIVITY 3. Upgrade computer hardware and software for public use.
OBJECTIVE C: Collaborate with community organizations to improve services
- ACTIVITY 1. Supervisors will be involved in at least one outside community service organization.
- ACTIVITY 2. Utilize college students for volunteer projects:
- a. Marketing
- b. Education
- a. Marketing
OBJECTIVE A: Increase funding levels to meet rising costs of all library materials.
OBJECTIVE B: Collection will be highly responsive to patron needs and requests.
- ACTIVITY 1. Title Fill Rate – 85% by 2012.
- ACTIVITY 2. Subject/Author Fill Rate – 80% by 2012.
- ACTIVITY 3. Majority of collection is 10 years old and newer by 2014.
- ACTIVITY 4. Collection is available in a variety of formats.
Literacy Services Long Range Plan
The vision of the Literacy Program is to eliminate illiteracy in Washington County by providing literacy services that encourage, educate, and empower participants to improve their literacy skills.
Our mission is to help individuals improve their literacy skills (reading, writing, computation, speaking and listening) thereby empowering them to participate more fully in the daily tasks of family, school, job and community.
GOAL 1: STUDENTS WILL BE CONTINUALLY RECRUITED AND GIVEN THE SUPPORT THEY NEED TO ACHIEVE SUCCESS.
OBJECTIVE A: Recruit students and tutors to program capacity (currently 35 matched pairs) annually.
OBJECTIVE B: Each student will be assessed using standard assessment tools such as the WRAT.
OBJECTIVE C: Students will be matched one-on-one with a tutor selected to meet the student’s needs.
OBJECTIVE D: Records and statistics will be kept and reviewed to assess the student’s evolving needs.
OBJECTIVE E: Students and tutors will work together to meet the student’s goals.
OBJECTIVE F: Each tutor matched with a student will sign a confidentiality agreement.
OBJECTIVE G: Work toward having a tutor on duty during after school hours by 2013.
OBJECTIVE H: Evaluate and redesign the Family Literacy Program by 2012.
GOAL 2: TUTORS WILL BE CONTINUALLY RECRUITED AND GIVEN THE SUPPORT THEY NEED TO HELP STUDENTS ATTAIN SUCCESS.
OBJECTIVE A: Tutors will receive training before being matched with a student, unless the tutor has equivalent training and experience.
OBJECTIVE B: Tutors will be encouraged to attend at least two continuing education workshops each year.
OBJECTIVE C: Tutors will receive an orientation packet and appropriate curriculum materials upon being trained and matched with a student.
OBJECTIVE D: A formal recognition of tutors and volunteers will be conducted each year.
OBJECTIVE E: Tutors will be offered at least four opportunities for networking each year (newsletter, round table, information bulletin board, social media networking, email.)
OBJECTIVE F: Tutors will be offered four tutor training classes annually.
- 2 sessions – Open Minds
- 2 sessions - Other
GOAL 3: PRACTICE OPERATIONAL EXCELLENCE
OBJECTIVE A: Ensure adequate funding to support Literacy Services through support from:
- City of Bartlesville
- Corporate and Private Donations
- Grant Opportunities
- ACTIVITY 1. Create fundraising volunteer committee by 2012.
OBJECTIVE B: Raise public awareness of literacy needs and services
- ACTIVITY 1. Create a clearinghouse of information about literacy efforts in the area.
- ACTIVITY 2. A needs assessment survey will be offered to each student.
- ACTIVITY 3. The Literacy Coordinator will refer students to other services when appropriate.
- ACTIVITY 4. The Literacy Coordinator will provide press releases regularly to area media outlets, including newspaper, radio, and cable TV.
- ACTIVITY 5. The Literacy Coordinator and Library Webmaster will maintain a Literacy Services page on the Library website with continually updated information about events and services.
- ACTIVITY 6. The Literacy Coordinator will actively seek out and speak to a variety of community organizations each year.
- ACTIVITY 7. The Literacy Coordinator will continue to maintain close ties with political advocates for Literacy Services.
- ACTIVITY 8. Create and implement a marketing plan for literacy services by 2012.
OBJECTIVE C: Work toward adding Literacy Services as a recognized department of the Library.
OBJECTIVE D: Work toward adding a part time literacy aide by 2014.
OBJECTIVE E: The Literacy Coordinator will participate in continuing education on an ongoing basis.
- ACTIVITY 1. Attend at least two continuing education events each year
- ACTIVITY 2. Maintain a working knowledge of trends and advances in literacy services by monitoring internet sites, participating in email lists, and attending Oklahoma Literacy Coalition meetings.
OBJECTIVE F: The ongoing success of the program will be monitored and assessed at least once per year.
OBJECTIVE G: The Literacy Coordinator will continually monitor community needs and plan for future literacy services as resources become available (see appendix, “Identified Future Literacy Needs.”
OBJECTIVE H: Bartlesville Public Library Literacy Services will adhere to the Oklahoma Quality Standards for Volunteer Literacy Programs Level III.
Appendix: “Identified Future Literacy Needs”
The following populations have been identified as needing specialized literacy services:
- Foster Kids
- Jail prisoners
- Middle school and high school students
The following services have been identified as a need in the community:
- ESL Conversation Class
- ESL Book Club
- Beginning Reader Book Club
- Health Literacy
- Family Literacy
The following have been identified as barriers to literacy and need to be addressed:
- Lack of transportation
- Undiagnosed Learning disabilities
- Not qualified for extra help through Bartlesville Public Schools
- Lack of school readiness
- Emotional disorders
GOAL 1: THE LIBRARY SERVES AS THE COMMUNITY’S PRIMARY CONNECTION TO THE INTERNET.
OBJECTIVE A: Maintain computers providing Internet/Web access to the public so that maximum waiting times for access are consistently well under one hour.
- ACTIVITY 1. Return the total number of public computers to 20 by 2013.
- ACTIVITY 2. Increase the total number of electrical outlets for laptop use by 2013.
OBJECTIVE B: Continue to link Library website to and from relevant sites, as well as provide links to selected non-profit community groups and organizations.
OBJECTIVE C: Increase internet connection speed to at least 45 mpbs by December 2012.
GOAL 2: THE LIBRARY PROVIDES APPROPRIATE MATERIALS AND RESOURCES TO STAFF AND PATRONS
OBJECTIVE A: Provide an excellent, attractive, and user-friendly website.
OBJECTIVE B: Continue to provide an email newsletter to patrons.
OBJECTIVE C: Maintain local newspaper index on website.
OBJECTIVE D: Promote use of web-based catalog.
OBJECTIVE E: 85% of the Library overdue and billing notifications will be sent electronically by June 2012.
GOAL 3. LIBRARY STAFF WILL PROVIDE USER-FRIENDLY ACCESS TO TECHNOLOGY.
OBJECTIVE A: Subscribe to annual online staff computer training by 2012.
OBJECTIVE B: Constantly evaluate and revise website, web guides, etc., to ensure highest customer usability.
GOAL 4: MAINTAIN AND IMPROVE TECHNOLOGY INFRASTRUCTURE.
OBJECTIVE A: Continuously evaluate new technology.
OBJECTIVE B: Review upgrade and replacement plan for telecommunications and technology equipment annually.
- ACTIVITY 1. Install video conferencing capabilities by end of 2012.
- ACTIVITY 2. Investigate costs to install flat panel monitors to facilitate meeting presentations in the Board Room and Meeting Room B.
- ACTIVITY 3. Investigate the costs to install flat screens in various locations within the Library to publicize programs, services, meetings, and to distribute information.
- ACTIVITY 4. Replace staff and public computers on 5-year rotation.
- ACTIVITY 5. Implement a netbook lending program by September 2011.
- ACTIVITY 6. Investigate and find solution to resolve heat issues in the Library’s computer room by fiscal year 2012.
- ACTIVITY 7. Upgrade software as appropriate.
OBJECTIVE C: Replace Integrated Library System by 2013.
OBJECTIVE D: Add Library Thing for Libraries package for catalog user reviews and smartphone access by 2012.
Our goal is to budget an amount that is sufficient to maintain, repair, and replace equipment as necessary. Upgrades and improvements will be budgeted as needed. These funds shall come primarily from local support (City sales tax), with some monies from state aid and grants.
This section will be reviewed annually. Members of the Long Range Planning Committee will determine priority of goals, completion of goals, and future technology needs of the library in serving the community.
Approved By The Bartlesville Library Board
May 10, 2011